Frequently Asked Questions

Language Training

YMCA – 4 GTA locations. Best to call (416) 925-5462

When attending or program, you will develop and improve your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. Based on your English knowledge, enroll in a full-time language class from Literacy to Level 7.

YMCA – 4 locations.  Best to call  (416) 925-5462 

  1. Permanent Residents of Canada who are not Canadian citizens 
  2. Convention Refugees
  3. Persons in Canada applying to become a permanent resident and who have been informed by a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada about the initial approval of an application, subject to completion of background check 
  4. Adults (18 years of age or older) who have their English tested at one of the local YMCA Language Assessment and Referral Centres in Toronto 

We don’ t offers these programs, links available: 

The classes are free of charge for eligible clients.

You can start any day. We have an ongoing intake.


For this information follow the link below 

Refugee claimants do not have to pay for a work permit unless a refugee claim has been denied. If the IRB denied your case, and you are in the process of appealing, you have to pay the fee to renew your work permit.

If you are a protected person or convention refugee, we can help you apply for permanent residence. It would be helpful to refer to your PIF 

You need to download the form, print it and mail it, along with supporting documents. 
An excellent place to start is writing down all your previous addresses, with move-in/out dates from the past five years.
What have you been doing during the last five years, including work, studies, unemployment, maternity, and any travel with exact dates and number of days? 
The Application Fee is $50, and you need to create an account with IRCC to pay with your credit card. 
Our services are free. 

Check Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website 

The first thing to do is see if you are eligible by checking the Physical Presence Calculator

Adults and minors have different forms. Also, an excellent place to start is by creating a list of:  

  • All your addresses in the past five years, including move-in/out dates. 
  • What you've been up, including work, studies, unemployment, maternity, etc. 
  • Any travelling with exact dates and number of days. 

The Application Fee is $630 per adult and $100 for minors. You need to create an account with IRCC to pay with your credit card. 

Our services are free. 

Yes, we offer free citizenship preparation classes – currently online. We use the Discover Canada book. 

Child Care

  1. While child care costs are relatively high in Ontario, each region has different rules and fees. 
  2. Depending on your income, you may also be eligible for a child care Fee Subsidy. If you are receiving social assistance through Ontario Works, support with the application and costs for child care is available through the OW program. You will need to provide proof of income, information about the applicant's employment or education. 
  3. Click here to apply for Childcare Subsidy in Toronto:


Find child care centres near you and contact them directly to determine if they have a spot for your child. You will need to get on the waitlist for each child care centre. 


Click here to find a childcare centre near your area in Toronto:

Applying for Child Care Fee Subsidy in York Region: click here

Applying for Child Care Subsidy in Peel Region: click here.


You need your child's Birth Certificate, immigration documents, proof of home address, and immunization records.

Here are a few online resources available where you can register for free online courses: 

High school programs are on a credit-based system. Students must earn a minimum of 30 credits to obtain a high school diploma. Eighteen of the credits are compulsory, acquired in a specified number of courses from a list of subjects that every student must take. The remaining 12 credits are optional, earned in studies that the student may select from the school's full range of options and interests. In Grade 9, most students take eight courses and, if passed, will receive one credit for each of those classes.


Yes. Employment services including building/improving your resume, job search and preparing for interviews by communicating with professional job developers at the LEF. 


The LEF also helps youth learn about career & employment opportunities by meeting with professionals from various fields. 

Canada Summer Jobs is a government program that gives trusted employers funding for creating quality jobs for young Canadians. 

Every year, Canada Summer Jobs advertise these opportunities on Job Bank to help more young Canadians find them and apply. Please see  

Your interests and the way you like to work are essential aspects to consider when deciding on a career path. You can click on the link below and take a quiz to explore your potential career pathway.  

Internationally Trained Professionals

World Education Services (WES) 


A report from WES: 

•Identifies and describes your credentials 

•Verifies that your credentials are authentic 

•May include a grade point average (GPA) equivalency 

•Includes an evaluation of the authenticity of your documents 


Types of Evaluations: 

• Document-by-Document: approximately $150 

• Course-by-Course: approximately $250 


International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) 



Type of Evaluations: 

•General Report ($90) 

•Secondary School Comprehensive Report ($130) 

•Postsecondary Comprehensive Report ($200) 

•Secondary and Post-secondary Comprehensive Report ($280) 

Processing time for reports range between 8-24 weeks

Financial Support & Government Services

Yes, there is. The Canada Child Benefit (CCB), sometimes called the Child Tax Benefit, is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and is a tax-free monthly payment for eligible families. CCB's purpose is to assist with the cost of raising children under 18 years old. 

  • To be eligible to receive the CCB, you must: 
  • Live with a child that is 18 or younger. 
  • Be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child. 
  • Be a resident of Canada (for tax purposes) 
  • You or your common-law partner/spouse should be any of the following: 
  • Canadian citizen 
  • Permanent Resident 
  • Protected Person 
  • Temporary Resident who has lived in Canada for the last 18 months and has a valid permit for the 19th month 
  • An Indigenous person who meets the definition of "Indian" under the Indian Ac

You can find out what community and social services are available near you based on your postal code by either calling '2-1-1' or visiting their website at

Housing / Furniture

If you or someone you know requires immediate shelter due to homelessness or an unsafe environment, 211 or other community support phone lines where you can call and learn which shelters are available in your area. There are shelters open that serve only women, only men, youth, families, and more. If you are in Toronto, please call Central Intake at (416) 338-4766. If you are in York Region, please call the Transitional Shelter Intake Line at 1-877-464-9675 ext. 76140, or email Families with children living in York Region are asked to contact the Family Shelter at Leeder Place at 1-888-554-5525. If you are in the Peel region, please contact 905-450-1996 to find a shelter near you based on your circumstances. These contact lines are all available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

The Furniture Bank (see their website here) is an organization that provides people in need with low-cost, gently used furniture. If you live in Toronto, Scarborough, Mississauga, Oakville, Brampton, Thornhill, Markham, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, or Aurora, you may be eligible. Due to COVID-19, The Furniture Bank is not offering in-person selection but is now done through email with a staff member. The Learning Enrichment Foundation is an agency partner of the Furniture Bank, which means that our staff can register you for this service. To get started, please call us at (416) 769 0830. 

If you are not able to afford furniture, otherwise, you are eligible, which includes newcomers to Canada, people receiving government income assistance (e.g. Ontario Works [OW], Ontario Disability Support Program [ODSP], Canada Child Benefit [CCB], Employment Insurance [EI], Canada Recovery Benefit [CRB], etc.) people escaping domestic violence, individuals whose furniture has been destroyed in some way (e.g. bed bugs, house fire, burglary/home invasion), people transitioning from homelessness to housing, and more. 

If you can afford to purchase furniture at full retail price, you are not eligible. Cases vary from person to person. For example, if you own your home and are looking to furnish your basement to rent it out, you will not be eligible for the Furniture Bank. While we appreciate your interest, please note that the Furniture Bank is a need-based program.

The services of the staff at The Learning Enrichment Foundation are free. The only fee associated with the Furniture Bank referral process is the cost for delivery – the team at the Furniture Bank will deliver your selected furniture to your home. The flat delivery fee is $200. 

The Learning Enrichment Foundation is committed to complying with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation please contact 416 769 0830 or